VP of Finance
Location: Orange, California
Job Type: Direct Hire
Job Id #: 6407
The VP of Finance provides both operational and programmatic support to the organization. The Director supervises the finance unit and is the chief financial spokesperson for the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in performing all tasks necessary to achieve the organization's mission and help execute staff succession and growth plans.
- Develops and executes strategies and standards related to accounting policy, financial reporting, general ledger maintenance, budgeting, and financial systems and controls.
- Oversees monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting close processes and coordinates the preparation of financial statements and filings in compliance with GAAP.
- Oversees the yearly budget preparation and variance analysis of actual performance to budget
- Oversees re-forecasts of budget as necessary and variance analysis of actual performance to re-forecast
- Conducts ad hoc analyses of the organization's finances and presents findings to executive leadership for decision making and planning.
- Coordinates financial reporting with parent company
- Develops internal controls and oversees audits of policies and procedures meant to preserve the organization's assets
- Train and manage the Finance Unit and other staff on raising awareness and knowledge of financial management matters.
- Work with the President/CEO on the strategic vision including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships on city, state, and national levels, as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Drafting of prospective programmatic budgets, and determining cost effectiveness of prospective service delivery.
- Prepares and makes recommendations based on financial analysis of the operations for the Firm and its affiliate companies
- Assess the benefits of all prospective contracts and advise the Executive Team on programmatic design and implementation matters.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and governmental audits.
- Provide the COO with an operating budget. Work with the COO to ensure programmatic success through cost analysis support, and compliance with all contractual and programmatic requirements. This includes: 1) interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and contractual guidelines, 2) ensuring that all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel, and 3) monitoring compliance.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- Oversee all purchasing and payroll activity for staff and participants.
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization and oversee federal awards and programs. Oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all A-133 audit issues are resolved, and all 403(b) compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with U.S. GAAP and federal, state and other required supplementary schedules and information.
- Attend Board and Subcommittee meetings; including being the lead staff on the Audit/Finance Committee.
- Monitor banking activities of the organization.
- Ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organization's needs.
- Serve as one of the trustees and oversee administration and financial reporting of the organization's Savings and Retirement Plan.
- Investigate cost-effective benefit plans and other fringe benefits which the organization may offer employees and potential employees with the goal of attracting and retaining qualified individuals.
- Oversee the production of monthly reports including reconciliations with funders and pension plan requirements, as well as financial statements and cash flow projections for use by Executive management, as well as the Audit/Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and timely calculations of wage incentives, commissions, and salaries for the staff.
- Oversee Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and ensure a disaster recovery plan is in place.
- Oversee business insurance plans and health care coverage analysis.
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets, including assets purchased with government funds (computers, etc.) assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Construction and / or Engineering Industry highly recommended
- Experience handling budgets up to 500M.
- Financial Data reporting
- Cash flow management experience and strategies
- Internal control experience
- Must possess extensive working knowledge of accounting and finance principles and software products.
- Ability to delegate work and projects while maintaining responsibility for the end results.
- Ability to transfer knowledge and skills to different types of software.
- Issues, concerns, and barriers of employees newly entering the workforce.
- Organizational development, human resources, and program operations.
- Requires extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products, specifically Excel spreadsheets and general office software, particularly the Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains
- Foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
- Create and assess financial statements and budget documents.
- Recognize and be responsive to the needs of all clients of the organization, including funding organizations, the Board of Directors, local community advocates, participants, and employers.
- Supervise staff, including regular progress reviews and plans for improvement.
- Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or finance related field.
- The Controller or Chief Financial Officer level.
- 10+ years of accounting / financial experience and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of an organization
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.