Field Engineer Supervisor
Location: Remote, Kansas
Job Type: Direct Hire
Job Id #: 6560
The Field Supervisor will supervise the day-to-day activities and work of a group of Field Engineers. The Field Supervisor will ensure that all work is done in a proper, efficient and safe manner. The Field Supervisor understands and is able to identify issues that would impact OSP network design and construction.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Including, but not limited to:)
- Owns the safety, quality, and efficiency of field operations employees.
- Plan, assign and review the work of field engineers.
- Ensure quality standards are maintained or exceeded.
- Enforce laws, rules, regulations, and policies. Ensure all safety procedures and policies are adhered to.
- Provide on the job training to new employees.
- Research and develop solutions to improve efficiency and effectiveness as needed.
- Schedule, conduct and participate in management meetings as necessary.
- Assure that personal vehicle is maintained to CHC safety standards.
- Provide field support to employees, which includes performing the job functions of field engineers:
- Collect relevant Pole Information
- Determine ideal locations for new above ground facilities
- Conduct Underground/Buried Cable layout surveys
- Develop accurate fiber/optical network construction surveys
- Conduct new substructure site surveys
- Determine existing and new locations for fiber optic cables
- Inspect the work of construction contractors
- Accurately depict new construction route opportunities
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics preferred.
- 3-5 years of engineering and/or construction experience, telecom or utility experience preferred.
- Previous experience with supervising employees; 1-2 years in a management or supervisory capacity in field operations, surveying, or utilities construction preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to accommodate travel in personal vehicle.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials and techniques involved in field operations, engineering and construction of telecommunications.
- Telecommunications Engineering Standards
- Capable of identifying issues in the field that would have a potential to impact network design.
- Able to collect necessary data from the field for determining a design including all necessary OSP features.
- Understanding of Telecommunications Construction Techniques
- Able to identify and suggest all types of construction methods within ROW, identify assumed public ROW, visually identify existing utilities.
- Ability to identify Make Ready Engineering issues and solutions to bring in to conform with local standards, GO95 and NESC.
- Experience and understanding of outside plant construction techniques.
- Knowledge of fiber networking and cable routing.
- Experience in estimating existing utility locations.
- Experience with interpreting cable or substructure designs.
- Ability to upload/download and edit documents in Project Management software.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Acrobat, and Google Earth. Ability to quickly learn new systems and databases.
- Highly organized, self-starter, and detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Superior time management.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible, take direction with ease, including changes to schedule and workflow priorities.
- Critical thinking skills; make assessments and provide solutions to problems.
- Ability to maintain professional tact in a fast-paced work environment with internal personnel and clients.
- Ability to follow direction in maintaining all Field Safety standards.
- Superior customer service. Dedication to providing customers “White Glove Service”.
- Travel in personal vehicle required to attend company meetings and conduct field audits at job site(s).
- Ability to stand, stoop, squat and bend for extended periods of time.
- OK with confined spaces.
- Tolerant to extreme elements (heat, sun, wind, rain, snow, etc.).
- Good vision and depth perception (corrective lenses OK).
- Able to sit and drive for extended periods of time.